Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Triple Play Award

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Triple Play Award
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:57:40 -0000

 ><{{{{*>    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb
> I'm not trying to knock LoTW, but at the current hit ratio
> most users report for the system, this seems like less of an
> operating award and more like a  recruitment award ...
> i.e., how effective are you at sending emails
> after the contact and begging folks to upload their logs to LoTW.
> Maybe that was the League's intent.
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E

I originated the proposal for this award to my Director back in late 2004.
(Without the LoTW-centric provision.)

Since then "the League's intent" has not been revealed, and seems to be a
classified "Top Secret" as even my Director has neglected to communicate
with me on the topic.  The only news I have of their intent is what I read
in the paper ("On motion of Mr. Bellows, seconded by........").

73, de Hans, K0HB

The original proposal was this:

"Triple Play USA Award"

Object: To contact each of the 50 United States in each of three modes,
Digital, Morse, and Phone ("triple play").

Rules:

1. Contacts must be direct two way contacts (no repeaters) in the same
mode, on any authorized band, made after (start date TBD). (No cross-mode
contacts.)

2. Contacts must be in the appropriate band segment for the mode.

3. Contacts with the same station on different modes must be at least
24-hours apart (no moving the same station from one mode to another as part
of a single contact).

4. The establishment of nets primarily dedicated to qualifying for this
award is not in the spirit of the award.

5. To apply, submit a 4-column ("State", "Digital", "Morse", "Phone")
summary sheet showing the call sign of each contact, accompanied by the
supporting QSL cards. QSL cards must (as minimum) show the date, time,
band, mode, and state of the contact.