Re: [CQ-Contest] Fills and repeats

To: Rowland.Archer@gxs.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fills and repeats
From: K1AR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:20:09 EDT
Rowland,

Try using better antennas (sorry, too hard to resist)!

Seriously, I've always subscribed to the theory of keeping it simple.
Sending "NR agn?" or just "NR?" is best. Trying to be cute with coded
algorithms
(e.g., 3?9) is generally unproductive in most cases.

So, the bottom line is that you have it right. BTW, with longer exchanges
(especially contests like CW SS),  it's sometimes easier to simply ask  the
station to repeat the entire exchange rather than trying to negotiate a
partial
fill -- especially if the operator is inexperienced or slow. One or two
attempts at CK?, for example, will give it away.

We could also talk about phone contest exchanges, but I don't think anyone
sponsors SSB contests anymore, do they? Or, is it that most of us don't like
them anymore? :-)

73 John, K1AR

In a message dated 8/11/2008 11:34:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,