Re: [CQ-Contest] Fills and repeats

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fills and repeats
From: <Rowland.Archer@gxs.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:39:20 -0400
Thanks for the answers so far -- sounds like there is no widely understood code
for "send the second digit please!!"  It does seem like it would be really
helpful -- of course if conditions are poor, and you send something that is not
expected (like  "NR 2" meaning send the second digit), there's a good chance
the guy on the receiving end won't hear you well, only adding to the confusion.

One comment that has come up several times is that most people are more
comfortable hitting a macro key than using a paddle to send at relatively high
speeds.  Count me in that group -- although one skill I've worked on is just
hitting Alt-K to bring up a keyboard typing window so I can send arbitrary
keystrokes.  I try to set up the macros I need for 95% of my transmissions, but
over time it has become second nature to just hit alt-K when I need to send
something ad-hoc.  That way I can keep my hands on the keyboard rather than
reaching for the paddle, but still send anything I want.  That was helpful this
weekend with QTC's -- people would ask for "TIME?" or "CALL?" on a specific
QTC, and I could use alt-K just to send the missing part of the exchange.  I
was actually amazed at the receiving ability of the EU ops for QTC's - out of
200+ QTC's sent, I bet I only had to send less than 10 repeats, and I was
sending them at 25WPM from my modest station.

73,
Rowland K4XD