Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest software

To: "Rick Kiessig" <kiessig@gmail.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest software
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:00:48 -0400
At 09:51 PM 9/29/2008, Rick Kiessig wrote:
>Thanks to the many who responded to me directly...
>
>I should add a few things: first, I'm allergic to DOS-like programs;
>anything like that is a complete non-starter, which rules out CT, Win-Test
>and EI5DI.
>
>Second, I'm sure that any of the logger apps can do the job.  That's not the
>issue.
>
>Running down a list of what the current apps can't or don't do, or what I
>don't like about them isn't productive.  I'm not trying to get anyone to
>change anything.  I know that each app has its fans, and that's fine.
>Suffice it to say that I've found them all to be very quirky in one way or
>another.
>
>I was just wondering if there are (Windows-based, non-DOS) contest logging
>apps other than N1MM, WriteLog, N3FPJ and DxKeeper that I should consider.
> >From the responses I've received so far, I gather the answer is no.
>
>--Rick

The only other one I'm aware of is TR4W, a Windows port of TRLog, but it is
very much a work in progress and still (last time I looked) lacking many
features.

I think you're going about this wrong, Rick - you can't definitively choose
a contest logging program by running down a features list or reading the
manual.  Even to master *one* of the leading logging programs (and discover
all it can or can't do) requires substantial time on the air, in a variety
of contests, and interative development of an understanding of what it does
in ways that you like, and in ways you don't.

I used CT for 5-6 years, TRLog for 8, and am into my 6th year with N1MM
Logger.  I reviewed Win-Test and N1MM for National Contest Journal, have
used Writelog in a major contest for a multi-2, and have tried TR4W, but I
would not presume to tell you that I *know* any but N1MM Logger really well.

If I were you, I would pick the one that seems closest to meeting my needs,
and plan to spend some considerable time using it and interacting with the
user group.

73, Pete N4ZR