Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

To: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>,CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange
From: John Brosnahan -- W0UN <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:22:27 -0600
At 17-11-08 15:55, Michael Coslo wrote:

>On Nov 17, 2008, at 4:03 PM, John Brosnahan -- W0UN wrote:
>

> > Everyone who chooses to ignore the exchange rule has an unfair
> > advantage over those who follow the rules.  That would certainly
> > cheapen the victory of anyone who did not follow this (or any other)
> > rule.
>
>Would you DQ everyone who gives a callsign, but does not do it twice?

I believe in rules and tradition.  If someone missed sending the
callsign in the exchange a few times I would probably not DQ
them.  But if stations decide to violate the rules that define the
exchange for the entire contest then they have an unfair advantage
and I would DQ them without a second thought.  The operators do not
get to determine what is and what is not worth the trouble to send,
only the sponsors as stated in the rules.

If the rules say to send a signal report, you have to send a signal
report even if it is a meaningless 599.  If you don't like the rule
then get the sponsor to change it, don't just decide that it doesn't
apply to you.

>I would not. And any advantage is certainly not unfair. You choose to
>nil the other op. I can make the exchange from the logged callsign and
>the other parts of the exchange they send. It walks talks and quacks
>like a proper exchange.
>
>Perhaps the sponsor should be asked if the callsign has to be sent
>twice, lest they be DQ'd.

You can certainly ask the sponsor to change the rule, but currently
the sponsor has spelled it out pretty plainly.  If it is a rule and
it is blatantly disobeyed then I say the sponsor should DQ the
station.  It is all pretty simple really.

>Would you nil the contact if the exchange was made backward?
>
>But seriously, if you want to nil everyone who does not, then have at
>it.

I will write a letter to the ARRL requesting stations that blatantly
violate the rules be disqualified.  Thank you for bringing this to my
attention.   I suspect that I will not be the only one to do so.

What is it with a culture that believes that if they don't like the
rules they don't have to follow them?  Isn't this what led to AIG,
Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc.

--John  W0UN