[CQ-Contest] High mail volumes

To: "CQ Contest Reflector" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] High mail volumes
From: "Tom Haavisto" <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:05:46 -0500
Over the past year or so (the time I have been subscribed to this
mailing list), I have noticed a few high volume discussions take
place.  During, and sometimes after, one or two folks will send a
message indicating they need to drop off this list due to the high
volume of postings.  No doubt, others silently drop off the list for
the same reason.

As a suggestion, might I recommend Gmail?  This is the Google webmail
application.  Its free, and allows folks to store over 7 gigs of
email.  No – I have no financial interest in Google, and no, this is
not a sales pitch.  Rather – I have found Gmail to be the answer I was
looking for when it comes to high-volume mailing lists, and lets me
stay subscribed when my email account would otherwise become unusable.
 Discussions that have the same topic are automatically threaded, and
if you have no interest in it, easy to delete.  By the same token, you
can delete large numbers of postings easily.

For example, I subscribe to the 3830 mailing list.  Now there is a
busy list after a contest!  I did not participate in the SS, but I was
able to easily find all the post SS postings and delete them as they
were of no interest to me.  I did enter the CQWW, and have enjoyed
reading the 3830 postings.  Everyone can decide what works best for
them.

Anyway – if the volume of postings here poses an issue, you might
consider using Gmail, or another webmail service.  For me, I found it
made a huge difference.

Tom – VE3CX