Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:31:16 +0000 (GMT)

> In short, mostly an agenda of self improvement, plus checking
> out the occasional, rare, person suspected of cheating.
>

> 73 - Jim K8MR

I think it is well summarized, plus who is the best to do the "secondary" check
than next one or few competitors in the category. Log checkers and software do
rough processing and we know that it is rough and about the same for all
contesters, much thorough than it used to be, yet not perfect. There is
evidence that some creative loging and bending of assistance rules is going on.
Having logs made public is significant deterrent.
I have nothing to hide, invite to look at my logs, if anyone learns from them,
that is just plus and ultimately will push me to advance, get better.

Want one example where public logs would shed the light at the "trivial" US 160
m CQ WW SSB record?
http://www.k3bu.us/cq_ww_dx.htm

Certain K1 holds the US record for 13 years, which at first might look as just
another record in the tables, until one attempts to beat it. Trying to analyze
why one can't beat it, divide the score by the multiliers, then by QSOs, you
get 3.03 points per QSO - according to rules IMPOSSIBLE!

When I tried to question the holder, I was told it must be a typo error in the
results, but right numbers were not provided. When I asked if I may look at the
log, that was categorically denied, as well as have CQ CC to see where the
error/problem is. (I keep record tables for 160m contest categories.)

Comparing that record score with number of competitors and MM 160 scores, it
appears to be about twice the points that good MM made at that time. Usually
scores like that are within some 10 - 20 %. Another indicator that something is
out of whack.
I tried to beat that record for two years, from perhaps the best station now in
US only to come up short after some 12 years, while in other contests this was
done since then by myself or others - more participation, better antennas. If
the logs were public then, we would not have this situation of having
questionable "record" sitting in the tables for 13 years.

Sour grapes? No, just attempt to clarify the obvious problem and set the
records straight, without success. While I had fun trying to beat the record,
it was dishartening to find that it is questionable. Good thing it is only a
hobby :-)

So my vote is to keep the logs public. It allows to scrutinize the logs deeper
in case of cheating, errors, unjust UBNs, and it is a learning tool for those
who care to improve. How usefull it is depends on how closely one can match or
exceed the location, antennas, equipment and operating skills of the other
competitor. All those aspects help to make contesting more fun, bring more
people in and minimize the fishy stuff.

Back to Skimmer is an assistant, 3 QSO penalty is good and 0 points for own
glorious contry QSOs is stimulating.

Happy and full of Sunspots New 2009!

Yuri, K3BU.us