Re: [CQ-Contest] Driving at 4AM

To: CQ-Contest com <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Driving at 4AM
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:23:48 -0500
On Feb 9, 2009, at 12:30 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2009, at 11:34 AM, <ve4xt@mts.net> <ve4xt@mts.net> wrote:

>>> No. Sponsors want to receive as many logs as they can, from hard-
>>> core
> contesters AND casual >>contesters alike.  Contests don't exist for
> contesters alone.
>
> Huh?  Contests exist for the competition.  Non contesters join in to
> have
> fun, work new countries, counties, states, whatever.  The very
> casual op who
> is not into contesting probably does not submit a log nor do they
> care who
> wins.  I give out lots of contacts in contests that I don't submit
> logs for.

        We want to get more contesters, both casual and serious. Getting more
logs is always a good thing. I think Kelly might have meant "hard core
contesters alone" instead of just "contesters alone".

> What is the percent of log received in comparison to all that
> participated?

Rough estimate for PAQSO is around 50 percent. Every year I tell the
troops to be sure to send in their logs, because it gives us feedback
as well as the normal scoring/log checking reasons. On the other hand,
there have been people who submit a very small log who win sections or
counties because no one else did. Often there were people who
operated, and didn't send in a log who would have won. I know because
I see them in the other logs. A guy last year won a county with only a
few QSO's. He was pretty embarrassed about whether he deserved the
award or not, but I told him that there were two parts of contesting
that were required. One is to operate, Second is to send in the log.
The other Ops who made a lot more contacts than he did did not perform
part two. So he won, and I was happy to send him his certificate.

-73 de Mike N3LI -