Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating Ethics for Multi-Op contest

To: CQ-Contest Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating Ethics for Multi-Op contest
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:57:42 -0400
On Mar 11, 2009, at 7:03 AM, Edward wrote:

> I have come to realize that there is no operator more inconsiderate in
> all of ham radio than the "goon squads" of 14.300 and SSTV and oh yes,
> add the RTTYers who just drop in our "their special calling frequency"
> after you have been CQing for over an hour.
>
> Contesters inconsiderate?  I am sure we have our share, but we take
> 99%
> of the bad press and aren't dishing out 1/3 of the garbage going
> on.  We
> need a better PR guy in my opinion...

Sounds like a little self policing would help more than PR. If I knew
someone was jamming me or swearing at me, I'd record them and turn
them in. You already have most of the parts. The SSTV'er transmits a
callsign with every picture, the Maritime net guy will have a
callsign. You have a pretty good idea there will be issues if you get
near those frequencies, and modern methods will allow you to pretty
well document the problems. Have another station record your efforts
and the other Op's jamming and put icing on the cake.

One of the unfortunate things too many of us do is to get all upset at
others malfeasance, but not do anything about it.

-73 de Mike N3LI -