Re: [CQ-Contest] ETHICS

To: cq contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ETHICS
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:46:29 -0400
On Apr 1, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Doug Renwick wrote:

> I get the same feeling that integrity is gone.

Despite all claims, I have to suspect that integrity has always been
an issue.

>  Let me share an example
> from the last WPX test, although minor, shows a disturbing mindset.  A
> very well known VE contester was running on 20m well outside the US
> band.  A US station called him outside his band and the VE station
> gave
> him an exchange and continued.  I would have told the W station that
> he
> was out of the band and that I can not work you here.

Who was it that said, "Don't attribute to malice that which can easily
be explained by stupidity"?

In the middle of competition, it is not that difficult to accidentally
get outside your allocation. I don't doubt that many people,
especially newer Ops, make that mistake. I've heard people operating
outside of band by a little bit also, Generals in the Extra class
portion too.

My guess is that the US Ham was spinning the dial and not paying
attention. I seriously doubt that he was cheating by operating out of
band for just one QSO

It is a good thing that you are concerned however. I would suggest
that you check into being an Official Observer:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/org/oo.html

You would be able to contact the guy and set him straight. Wouldn't
even cut into the contesting time too much. Just a callsign, frequency
and time.

-73 de Mike N3LI -