Re: [CQ-Contest] License

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] License
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 05:32:09 +0000
What we know for the moment is that ".. the entry will not be
allowed".  This implies that RA3CO's score from HK3RA will
not be found in the results, not that RA3CO was DQed.

It does put CQ WW in a bit of a pickle, as if it was decided
that RA3CO's recent entry doesn't merit being "allowed", then
RA3CO's previous entry from HK1AR was probably also
illegitimate & therefore should not be allowed.

But RA3CO's previous entry is in CQ WW results already
published & it seems once published that is it, based on
the Cabrillo-header-trumps-Cabrillo-log data incident (JJJ2...).

What will CQ WW do?  Back pedal on results-set-in-stone or
be seen to disallow one illegitimate operation yet allow another,
by the same operator from the same country under what appear
to the be same circumstances?

The Russians do have a small problem when operating abroad -
few if any places with which they have a reciprocal agreement
& Russia is _not_ a CEPT participant.  It does beg the question
how do the Russians on walkabout get licensed?  It seems some
have gone to great lengths to be legitimate, such as obtaining
citizenship in other countries in order to enjoy their reciprocal
agreements or participation in CEPT otherwise not available to
them as Russians.

CEPT in particular is ripe for abuse as, like contest entries, it
is based on an honor system.  For many countries, who can
operate there is easy to find out, reciprocal agreements are
documented & CEPT is also clear cut.  It does surprise me,
once the RA3CO story broke, to find myself looking at other
contest results & wondering, how could so-&-so be legitimately
operating in such-&-such place?

Seems I was the only one asking that question.

Proof of legitimacy must be coming to radiosport soon.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.