Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme Categories

To: N2GC@aol.com, dougk1dg@gmail.com, xdavid@cis-broadband.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Xtreme Categories
From: VE2TZT <ve2tzt@videotron.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:33:54 -0400
I totally share the fears of Mike,

I find the Xtreme category a very good idea, EXCEPT for the REMOTE RECEIVERS
OUT OF THE COUNTRY rule.

1) This rule WILL DRIVE THE CQWW STRAIGHT AHEAD TO A VIRTUAL INTERNET
CONTEST.

It will not be long before a guy will develop an individual receiver-sharing
freeware which will permit to everybody to share the receiver of anybody via
internet. This software will propagate like skimmer and tomorrow everybody
will be able to listen on an ''Internet Universal Virtual World Receiver''.

There will not even be any need to know where is located the receiver that
one is listening the signal.

Then, my QTH, like the QTH of every hams around the world will be equipped
with a low cost receiver which will send what it receives on the internet to
the IUVWR.

With my local receiver sending its received signals on the internet from my
QTH, I have just to transmit a single milliwatt on my own receiver to be
heard all around the world.

At this point, a question: why should I have to transmit something on the
air? I just have to connect, with a coax, the attenuated output of my
transmitter to my receiver input (itself connected on the internet) to be
heard all around the world via the IUVWR.

And why should I use any transmitter-receiver line to transmit my signal on
the internet? The individual receiver-sharing freeware will include an
option to directly send my audio signal to the internet, I will just have to
give it the frequency I want my signal to be heard on the IUVWR.

So, I will be able to participate at low cost to the contest, without any
amateur radio set or any antenna. Same thing for everybody.

Now here we are : a group of guys contesting on the internet without any
radio : A VIRTUAL CONTEST.

Some on this reflector are thinking that there will be a very limited number
of Xtreme participants in those conditions? No, I think that there will be a
very limited number of participants like me in this new kind of virtual
contest nightmare. But I am sure that I am the member of a retrograde
minority and 2500 less real QSO's in the CQWW will not make a difference in
front of millions of virtual QSO's from new computer game oriented
participants.

2) An other nightmare: I will be able to finish my 40 zones 160m WAZ within
5 minutes.
How will the WAZ committee (even if it is also the sponsor of the CQWW)
know what are the real and what are the virtual QSL's in this mess?

Not even mentioning the DXCC committee...

Gilles VE2TZT