Re: [CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition

To: "'Stan Stockton'" <k5go@cox.net>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 00:58:14 -0000
Operating time is definitely a factor in achieving a score!

For the WPX Contest, the online results list the hours of operation for
every entrant as well as their band breakdowns.  This provides a way for
people to compare their efforts with others.

There are other properties that may be interesting for comparing scores.
All we need is more meta data provided with the logs and we can include that
in the online score database.  Then participants could run queries to
compare their score against various properties.  The technology to do this
is easy.  The hard part is getting agreement on the property names and
definitions!

Creating new (overlay) categories based on operating time is an interesting
concept.  My concern is that it may actually motivate people to be less
active.  For example, I have about 15 hours to operate during a weekend.  Do
I spend my time to maximize a score for the 12 hour category, or just play
around and work my 15 hours available?  The contest sponsors want to
motivate people to get on as much as they can.  I think that is one reason
contesting has always been kind of open ended when it comes to operating
time.  You want a bigger score -- you spend more time in the chair.

Perhaps a limited time category would end up with a net gain by converting
ops who normally do 4-6 hour efforts into 12 hours.  That is the great
unknown.

Once you start making limited time categories, you also have to define them.
Is it 12 hours consecutive?  Any 12 hours?  If so, then what is an off time?
It is not as simple as it may first seem.

But, time-based catergories are an idea worthy or more discussion.

Randy, K5ZD

  _____