Re: [CQ-Contest] Why the 10 min rule anyway?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why the 10 min rule anyway?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 00:29:04 -0400
Fine.  I wasn't active at the time, so if the original intent of the CQ WW
M/S category was to allow a "multiplier hunting" station, so be it -- for
that contest.

I'm not looking for a "straw man" to knock down, just trying to understand
why so many have trouble grasping the notion (especially in other contests
that permit the category in question) that one is one.

A multiplier-hunting-only station on another band aside... I still say that
those who employ electronic or mechanical means for a multi-transmitter lock
out, so that only one signal is on the air at any given moment, is not a
multi-single.  How can it be, when 2 or more rigs are in use at any given
moment under such a setup?

And I find it interesting to note those who seem to be complaining, in
essence, that the 10 minute (or any arbitrary minimum time) time is unjust
or unfair.  C'mon.  You want to run M/S?  Then follow the rules of the
contest in question.  You want to run M/2 or M/M?  Then do that.  But trying
to stretch the definition of a M/S by highly technical means so that you're
really running an M/2 or M/M under the guise of an M/S...

Let me put it another way.  I really like having K3AIR as an operator at my
station, and he's a good enough contester that he's well worth sitting in
front of the rig.  But I want him there, present and accounted for, as a
contester.  Not as my lawyer to interpret the rules to keep me within the
strictest razor-thin legal definition of the rules.  (For one thing, if he's
here as my lawyer, I have to pay him, and I'd rather invest that money in
burgers and beers!)

73