Re: [CQ-Contest] Who is to blame?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Who is to blame?
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:57:09 -0500
That's quite interesting. I can combine your premise with K1AR's request
and add something valuable to the reflector.

I haven't yet seen the official results for CQWW SSB, but it has been
reported that 6Y1V is 2nd world in the M2 category. We've never been
close before.

So what was different this year?

In my opinion, it was better cooperation from the operators (my hats off
to the Brits).

When people come to Jamaica, they get on the high bands, point the
stacks to Europe and have a blast. That's all fine and dandy, but when I
designed the antenna system, it was originally supposed to be a M/S
operation and I purchased the M2 stacks for multiplier hunting. Since
2006, every operator that has participated in CQWW has used those stacks
for the running pileups, despite my repeated advice to the contrary.

Well, this year we have more multipliers than past years. Why? Because
the MD4K guys that joined me took my advice and used the SteppIR's for
running, producing smaller, more manageable pileups and used the stacks
for hunting and working multipliers, particularly to long haul locations
like Asia.

I think we can even do better, possibly win from a 2 point Caribbean
location. VP2E proved that in the past.

Stacks are nice, but when you need to work mults, switch your run
station to a smaller antenna and use your yagis to work those important
multipliers!

David ~ KY1V/6Y1V

> I have asked the CC to divulge how they are identifying cheaters, not
> specifically to me, but publicly. They refuse to divulge that
> information in the interest of protecting their methods from being
> circumvented by cheaters. This I can understand to some degree.

They are probably running some sort of fairly basic statistical
analysis, and knowing exactly what they do will tend to change things

My wife is a statistician, and I've seen her pull some real
"interesting" trends out of data.  The huge problem is when everyone
knows the model and uses the same one (which is pretty much what lead to
the current financial mess - everyone used the same model, developed by
Chase)

Except that she is busy as heck, I've been tempted to download the logs
from CQWW, and set her at it saying "what are the outliers - which
stations are 'odd'".  It won't tell you that they are cheating per-se,
but it will tell you that "something is different at that station, be it
gear, location, or operating practices"

I suspect what the CC has done is already IDed a bunch of "outliers",
stations that make them say "Hey, that's Odd.." (which is the REAL sound
of Science being done, not Eureka), and they will show up to see WHAT is
odd.

Now, what I would HOPE is that if they found something "odd" that was
within the rules, THEY would not tell the world exactly what the other
station is doing, that is a competitive secret for the station to give
out or not

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's hand grenades I throw...