Re: [CQ-Contest] Who is to blame?

To: "'Tree'" <tree@kkn.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Who is to blame?
From: "Tod - ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:35:20 -0600
I have read the K4RO and N6TR messages as well as several other messages
aimed at looking at the philosophy of the cheating/preventing cheating
issue.

Like Tree, I have been really surprised at the "indignation ..heaped" [I
might have said focus placed]  on the persons assigned to manage the
contest. Apparently, either you are comfortable with the thought that the
Contest Managers who expend effort to minimize cheating are doing the right
thing or you think that such effort is inappropriate behavior for a Contest
Manager.

I expect Contest Managers to be providing disincentives to cheating.

As I read I began to wonder if inadvertently someone has been placed in the
CQ Contest Hall of Fame who has or should have been disqualified at some
historic point? I certainly hope not!

But, should such DQ's affect the consideration of someone in the future?
Should such DQ's have a 'life time' so that an errant person could make a
self correction and we all accept the historic problem as just that
--historic, and not properly indicative of the contesting character of the
person at the present.

The sad thing about all of this is that we will not eliminate all "Cheating"
nor change the attitudes of some whose view about this is not the same as
ours -- they may be much more or less fervent than we are about the
significance of this issue.

I  think as a minimum  we should all "do the right thing" as we see it and
counsel others to consider doing so too.

Tod, KØTO