Re: [CQ-Contest] Need advice re amps/setups for contesting

To: "K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Need advice re amps/setups for contesting
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 05:34:32 -0400
On 10/30/2009 K0HB wrote:

>> But what I'm talking about guys who
>> <CQ Contest, his call>
>> KG2V
>> <CQ Contest, his call>
>> KG2V
>> <CQ Contest, his call>
>> KG2V
>> <CQ Contest, his call>
>> KG2V
>> <CQ Contest, his call>
>> KG2V
>> <CQ Contest, his call>
>> KG2V
>> <CQ Contest, his call>
>> KG2V

>> with NO pauses in there - and I can listen to the guys doing it with other
>> stations too!!  If I have a 2x3 call, there literally would not be time
>> between his CQs to even say my call, never mind say "Kilo Golf Two Victor"

> I can't for the life of me come up with any persuasive logic which says that
> they hear you, but decline to answer you.  Thus we are left with the
> conclusion that you're not heard at their house.

> 73, de Hans, K0HB

Think is, it's NOT only me - I've sat and listened to other people try the
particular station I'm thinking about

I've pretty much concluded he's running squelch - IF there is a strong signal
the breaks in, the person who has been calling can often "tail end" in, but if
you're in the noise, forget it.

But, to get back to where we started, someone said "you need to be able to hear
them to work them, so improve your antennas" - I'm give the counter problem -
Oh, I can here them, but your right, they can't hear ME (or are so low, they
won't bother) , which is exactly why we were asking about amps

(100 watts, low wires makes life frustrating at times, and clicking on the
slightly tired '600 watt' amp makes you high power, hence the question of the
original poster

What amps for a station running a dipole at 25 ft? (or in my case, 32 ft)

(trying to un-hijack the thread)

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com
My Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
 for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.