Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Musings...

To: n2ic@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Musings...
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:45:48 -0500
Come one, Come all... I encourage ALL to participate, even those with code
readers.   These days, with most people sending the exchange using a
computer, the computer-generated CW
is pretty easy to decode using a computer.

The problem lies when everything is not perfect.   My mention of "code
reader confusion" was meant as a joke -- the one-dit difference between W1UE
and W1VE just might be a bit much for code readers (esp with a little
QRN/M).   I knew some had it wrong... after completing QSOs, people would
say "W1UE TU DE ..." or "TU WMA" or "TU NH".   (all wrong for my
operation).   I'm all for assistive technology... but let's help people
learn how to get it right.   After the contest, I checked for spots of me --
more than 20% were wrong.

I found many stations reluctant to ask for QRS.  One guy said "QRM AGN
PSE"   It was a quiet frequency.  I sent the exchange again.  No response.
I QRS'd to about 18 wpm, sent it again. and be got it 100%.    No one should
be embarrassed to ask for QRS.
Congrats on a great score, Steve!

73, Gerry W1VE

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Code readers have been in use for many years in SS. With free software,
> such as
> CWGet and DM780, it has become easier than ever. That's fine with me - It
> increases CW contesting activity. I think of CW as a digital mode, just
> like RTTY.
>
> I have a number of friends who started CW contesting using code readers,
> and
> used them as training aids to help them learn CW. Yes, like training wheels
> on
> their bicycle. And just like learning to ride a bicycle, many of them have
> taken
> off the training wheels and now operate contests without using a code
> reader.
>
> 73,
> Steve, N2IC
>
> Zack Widup wrote:
> > I used my ears to copy CW just as I have for 43 years. I sent CW on a
> > paddle. I'm not adverse to using a keyboard for sending CW (I just don't
> > care to do it) but I will NOT use a machine to copy it. Did people
> actually
> > use code readers in this contest?
> >
> > 73, Zack W9SZ

Gerry Hull, W1VE/VE1RM