Re: [CQ-Contest] Is holding QRG's legal?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is holding QRG's legal?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:23:12 -0500
Was it planned?

If it was planned, I'd certainly have a query about ethics.  And that's not
to say that anything was positively right or wrong, but I'd certainly raise
an eyebrow and ask some questions.

If it was unplanned, spur of the moment... I wouldn't make a mountain out of
a molehill over it.

With that in mind...

More than once over the years in the Pa QSO Party, I've had someone ask me
if I'd like a frequency while they take a break... be it to check a band,
take a short "relief" break (what type of "relief"?  Use your imagination),
answer an unexpected phone call or door bell, grab a bite to eat...
whatever.  [Keep in mind & in context that this type of friendly behavior is
encouraged in this contest, which is not necessarily the case in others].
In every case it's been unplanned, and when the other station returned to
the frequency, I returned the courtesy and gave it back.

I've also done the same when I needed to take a moment... and sometimes when
I was called S&P by a "rare" station that others needed, I'd give up my
frequency to give others a shot.  Again, without elaborating ad infinitum ad
nauseum, this particular contest encourages this type of behavior.

Others don't.  In most major DX contests, if I chose to give up a frequency
for any reason, I have no expectation (reasonable or otherwise) to get it
back.  And should I hear someone leave a frequency for any reason, I would
think that they'd have no reasonable expectation to reclaim it.  (Which
doesn't stop someone from telling me that it's "their" frequency even though
they announced they were leaving it... but that's another thread for another
time)

The bottom line on all this, though, is that if this is a deliberate attempt
to coordinate on-air operations between two contest stations, even if it is
an ethical problem, it is up to the ethics of the induhviduals involved to
properly categorize their operations.

In other words, if someone is trying to push the envelope into a rules
definition beyond the intention of the contest sponsors, and as such gain an
unfair advantage (for whatever good it does them), they have to live with
the consequences.  And if it results in an unearned (and thus hollow)
victory, they have to live with the consequences of that as well.

Is winning at any and all costs worth it?