Re: [CQ-Contest] Is holding QRG's legal?

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is holding QRG's legal?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:04:35 -0700
The "operating arrangement" that bothers me is the explicit agreement to
hand the frequency back after the guy has had a chance to go work some
stations on another band.  For the average (unassisted) single operator
in a busy contest like Sweepstakes, that's a pretty significant benefit
not available to anyone who doesn't get that kind of help from another
operator.  It's normally a fairly significant strategy decision to do
anything (change bands, go to S&P, take a break) that causes you to lose
a good run frequency.  Having a buddy hold your place means you don't
have to make that decision while everyone else does.

Let's say two "unassisted" operators, one on 20m and one on 15m, agree
to exchange run frequencies every hour on the hour.  Let's even say they
make that agreement during the contest.  That sounds like collusion to
me, and it doesn't smell a whole lot different than what we've been
discussing here ... at least not in terms of intent.

And by the way, no tar and feathers intent here from my end ... I just
think it's a questionable practice.

73,
Dave   AB7E