[CQ-Contest] Holding a QRG: ethics vs rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Holding a QRG: ethics vs rules
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:11:50 +0000 (GMT)
Well, this discussion seems to be floundering a bit, so I'll add to the
confusion.

As we all should know (and many do), there is a difference between RULES (laws)
and ethics.
Many societies embrace certain ethics/moral issues/mores so closely, that they
institute laws
around them.  Contesting is different in that we (?) apparently want basic
rules which do not
involve what many here call "lawyering."  Who wants a set of contest rules that
runs 1900
pages?  Probably some, but not most.

So, is it ethical to hold a frequency for a friend?  Let's try some analogies.

1.  In a major city (and probably other venues too), it is a major chore and
cause for
celebration to find and hold a parking spot on the street.  If you leave your
spot, it is now
up for grabs.  Would it be ethical to have a friend stand in the parking spot
or to put up
some sort of barricade so as to prevent others from using "your" spot while you
are not there?
Most of us would say that this is "not fair" to the others; it is unethical.

2.  What about waiting in line?  If there is a large queue for something of
value (tickets to the
world series or the opera or rock concert or Dayton), is it OK to have someone
stand in line
for you while you take a bathroom break or go shopping or whatever?  For me,
the answer is
that YES, this is OK.  Why?  Because nobody is being injured.  Everybody behind
you is still
maintaining their position in the queue.  In fact, it is not uncommon for
strangers to help each
other: tap the person behind and request that they "hold this spot" for you
while go to the
water closet.  Part of the concept is, "I may need this same service, I will
help out."  Not
quite altruism, but close.

So why are these different?  Well, in one way (for the latter) there is no harm
to any party.
The person "in front of you" doesn't care what happens "behind them" and the
people behind
you have no impact from your actions.  It is transparent to them.  And besides,
moving up one
position in the queue won't matter; it does NOT change the sequence (order of
finish).
The status quo is maintained.

But in the former, something of value to others is being denied AND they have
to do something
different because of it.  Their outcome may be negatively affected.

If this "hold my place" scenario were to have taken place on 10m, nobody would
care; but that
would be because it didn't matter (10m is dead).  But what if it K3LR or LPL or
some other big
gun were in the CQWW contest and asked someone to HOLD the bottom end of 20cw
for him?
Would that be fair (ethical)?  Please ignore the RULES and just focus on
ethics/morals/mores.
The act itself (to me) seems reprehensible; he is taking an unfair advantage.
Those of us with
big signals (maybe not like those guys) would just LOVE to "get" the bottom of
the band.
Why?  Because it is of value (perceived or not).

So to answer the question, one has to also determine if this action effectively
denied others
of valuable real-estate that potentially would have helped to up their score.
For me, the mere
fact that someone requested this points to some inherent VALUE in that QRG by
at least one
party to the action.

So irrespective of the RULES, such an act (hold my QRG) is very likely to be
deemed unethical
in terms of sport.  If you feel strongly that it should be in the rules, then
petition the sponsor.

End of professing.

de Doug KR2Q