Re: [CQ-Contest] 1977 vanity calls (was Watch your dits thisweekend)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1977 vanity calls (was Watch your dits thisweekend)
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:18:03 -0600
And then came Vanity Insanity for the rest of us in the '90s.  I'd
entertained the idea for several years and always thought that it would
only be worthwhile to get a 1x2 and to get rid of the lousy KA prefix
(DX loved to drop the A as I found out in the early '90s).  K0RY was
taken by a good friend in Salina, KS and K0RN and K0NY were taken so
that was it for combinations from KA0RNY.

Pouring over the available lists eleven years ago showed a lot of N0xx
calls available as most hams seemed to shun the N0 prefix even though
it was in wide use from the sequentially issued 1x3 calls.  Not being
too imaginative, I chose my initials and made N0NB my first choice.  On
the off chance that it was issued I also chose W0RN as my second choice
but it was issued the same day I applied.  My third and final choice
was to drop that cursed A and I listed K0RNY which would have been cool
in its own right.

While N0NB isn't too bad on CW, on phone it becomes laborious saying
November Zero November Bravo for CQs on end.  A bit of letter variety
would have been a smarter thing to choose.  But if I had all the
available calls to choose from for this district to choose another, I'm
not sure what choice I would make.  I do know this, I'm not a highly
sought mult in WPX, however the improvement when working DX was
immediately apparent.  Also, it is nice that it was never previously
issued (verified from old callbooks) and the next poor soul will have
to put up with my legacy.  ;-)

73, de Nate >>