Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU band plans - just what are they?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU band plans - just what are they?
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 04:01:01 -0600
I have to admit, with my absense from Amateur radio for many years, I
didn't know much about the IARU. Someone mentioned that many radio
amateurs believed they are a governing authority, and I must aadmit, I
had that same general notion. Furthermore, the IARU's importance in
Amatuer Radio seemed more compelling to me by the sheer fact that the
Region II director met one of my Young Ham selections at the airport in
Argentina and then met me upon my visit to South America.

I can easily recognize the need for such an organization and further
recognize contributions made to our service (hobby as some call it) by
the IARU.

I read the HARTS document as well as the PowerPoint presentation. I'll
take some time tommorrow to further acquaint myself with IARU in
general.

A few things I found disturbing in the HARTS document were all contained
in a single paragraph.

"The vast majority of amateurs in all countries do conform to the IARU
bandplans..."

I believe this could be a good thing for Amateur Radio simply out of
respect for other operators; however, I question the implementation
method of such a voluntary plan being administered through member
societies and more importantly the motivation behind its implementation
in general. This is why:

...and it is in our own interest that it should continue to be this way.

In my opinion, the driving force behind any such organizational
administration of a "band plan" should be motivated by the interest of
all radio amateurs, not the society itself or its constituent members.
This is often the problem I see with organizations such as the ARRL and
DARC. They often do what's fit for ONLY themselves and sometimes their
members and not always that which is in the best interest for all radio
amateurs in general. This is most likely the driving force for pushback
from those that are aware these organizations have no authority and thus
the creation of "rogue operators" is born!

"The plans are prepared in a democratic way with input from any
country's member society."

Here again, the interest of those running the organization (because
other hams have no interest in membership) are the driving forces in
decisions that affect a much larger group of people. As I stated, the
appearance here is that the IARU is a self motivated organization
interested in enacting band plans, and to the best of its ability,
enforcing those band plans upon the general amateur population. It also
seems, as stated in the document, the IARU has had limited success in
some countries of having the band plans incorporated into the country's
law. As far as I can tell, this is probably a far more effective way of
accomplishing their mission than any attempts at enforcing a band plan
through education or peer pressure (which is sure to create more rogue
operators).

"The plans are discussed, modified and voted upon at IARU Regional
General Assemblies with each country (large or small) having only one
vote."

This comment probably bothers me more than any other. Considering the
overall impact of any band plan and the number of radio amateurs
impacted by such a plan, leaving such decisions to be decided by a
single vote from each country hardly seems appropriate. I can guess why
this is the case with IARU considering an alternative such as the United
States method of electoral votes based on the population of a particular
state. I doubt any regional IARU member society would be comfortable to
delegating that much voting power to a single country such as the United
States, however, aren't we the number one user group of the amateur
radio frequency spectrum? This thought alone makes one wonder, what is
the rest of the world doing during sweepstakes?

Personally, I think most NET's are useless. Over the past 36 years I
have been a radio amateur, I have visited the frequencies of dozens of
nets. Mostly what I hear is a small group of control freaks wasting time
checking people in and out of the NET with no apparent useful
communications taking place. Sure there are some useful NETS. I
personally used to help out with the afternoon DX Net on 15 meters as
often I was one of the few hams that could copy weak stations in Africa
with my 5 element monobander at 115' located on the eastern shore of
South Eastern Virginia. The county hunters NET is also another "useful"
NET for those that like to do that sort of activity, but most NET's are
nothing more than some old fart in need of some control in life checking
people in and out of the net with no useful communications taking place.
They simply waste spectrum and piss people off when they run them off
the already in use frequency!

It is my opinion that contesters, whom we all know are a great bunch of
operators, who generally respect others rights within amateur radio,
should organize and strongly oppose to the IARU, ARRL, DARC and other
organizations, ANY Band Plan that attempts to establish a specific
frequency or a spectrum of frequencies as "off limits" during any
specific contest or group of contests. Setting such a precedent, even in
the case of a single entity claiming the importance of such a Band Plan
based on life threatening communications will open up Pandora's box for
every other nut job out their currently, or in the future, laying claim
to a specific frequency and time for his/her personal use without regard
for the rest of the radio amateur community.

Let's not make the mistake of allowing the squeaky wheel to get the
grease simply because it's no longer political correct to speak out
against minority groups! Defend your license and the privileges granted
to it by your government!

Your contesting and amateur radio friend,

David ~ KY1V