Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

To: "'reflector cq-contest'" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:46:39 -0500
"You wouldn't even need to exchange the grid info (very complex, would take
all the fun of running a pile up), all calculations could be made after the
contest"

That wouldn't work.  You would have to exchange the grid information.

Two reasons:

(1)  The station you worked declined to send in a log.  So how would you
know where they operated from?  You couldn't necessarily base it on a
calculation based on their call book address, since many amateurs use mail
drops, postal boxes, relatives, dx clubs, or business entities for receiving
their mail... and not all call listings are available online or fully
accurate anyway.

(2)  The operator may not be operating from his or her "home" station.  For
example, if in this scenario, NB3C and I decide to operate with my call from
his "superstation" QTH (which is not at his home), even though we're only a
few miles away from each other, we're in different grid squares... EN90 vs.
FN00. It can make a big difference in calculations.