Re: [CQ-Contest] RX Heresy?

To: n4zr@contesting.com, "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RX Heresy?
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:10:39 +0000
Well I certainly can't speak for top ten contesters, but I will say that using
the K3's at W0ZT's has been an interesting experience. For example, 160 meters
on major contest weekends has all these empty spots and holes in the band that
I didn't hear before. On the other hand, I've had people with lesser receivers
yell "QRL!!!" at me too. DX contesting from the Upper MidWest (or "Under the
Black Hole" as we refer to it) requires an ability to hear weak DX through a
multitude of loud East Coast stations. The demands on a receiver are pretty
serious. Now imagine that the K3 allows you to pull out 2 or 3 guys per hour.
Over the course of a weekend that adds up to a significant improvement.

I guess I'd conclude that contesting is a game of small, incremental
improvements and the K3 is definitely an improvement.

73 Steve K0SR