Re: [CQ-Contest] RX Heresy? - Key Clicks

To: <btippett@alum.mit.edu>, "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RX Heresy? - Key Clicks
From: "Dave - AB7E" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:06:21 -0700

I've had my K3 for about a year now, and for CW contests I typically use the
250 Hz 8-pole roofing filter (which is actually something over 300 Hz wide) and
have the DSP set to 300 Hz.  Key clicks have now become my biggest complaint
... I can slide up to within 200 Hz of an S9+20 signal and never hear him if he
has a clean signal, but key clicks are often much wider than that.  Given the
number of truly horrible clicks coming from some of the more active contesters
out there, I'm of the opinion that many of them do it intentionally to give
themselves more elbow room.  It makes me wonder if that would prevent those
guys from ever buying a K3, since Elecraft has wisely (in my opinion) made the
CW waveform fixed ... it cannot be adjusted by the user.

I would love to see someone write an SDR application that decoded callsigns and
measured key click energy (energy outside a predefined bandwidth) as a
percentage of the total signal for each callsign.  CW Skimmer, for example, can
display SNR for a signal ... wouldn't it be neat if it had the option to
measure key clicks instead?

73,
Dave  AB7E