Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 09:44:19 -0400
I hope that Dean will chime in here, because I recall an e-mail
conversation a few years ago in which he said he felt that About 3 miles
was a practical limit.  I once built a terrain file that had too many
points for HFTA to process, which suggests to me that you need a
compromise between the range covered and the amount of detail in the
profile.

My trig is way too rusty to attempt the math, but if you start with an
antenna at a given altitude, go out 15 miles and identify a point that
is maybe 500 vertical feet above that plane, and draw a line between
them, as well as a horizontal line (we're talking flat earth here
hi)from the antenna to the obstruction, what angle above the horizontal
will just clear the ridgeline?  I know the number is pretty small, just
not *how* small.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com