Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH

To: Lew Sayre <w7ew@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest QTH
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 15:45:38 +0000 (GMT)
Yo, yo

>From my experience, the biggest contribution to antenna performance is the
>ground/water/salt water under and in immediate vicinity of antenna. That is
>what contributes to forming the pattern of the antenna, launching the signal,.
>Further out terrain, ground conditions, salt water help to enhance and extend
>what was gained already. Flat surface of water presents least impediment to
>signals.

I was awaken by experiences of Team Vertical exploits at the beach and their
results by just using "fishing pole" antennas. To verify their fishing stories
I ventured to Cape Hatteras with 10m antennas, to see how well it works even at
the highest band. Just driving along the shore I could see that close to shore,
band would come alive, going away, fewer signals would be heard. Looked like
some 10-15-20 dB difference. Wow! Then same was at Cape Breton in VE1.

W8LRL has 3/8 wave vertical with 360 radials 200 ft long each, un-obstructed
surroundings on a small mound. Produces low angle inland.

VE1ZZ is in the location similar to one you describe. Ocean bay is to the East
and he gets out very well.

TF4M installed his Arctic King loaded vertical on the shore of fjord, some
ridge around but it works.

N2EE is on the salt water marshes on the bay with island chain strip and the
above effect is very noticeable. Just take your mobile and drive around while
watching the Smeter.

To summarize, salt water or good ground, radials under the antenna or immediate
vicinity improve the efficiency, minimize the losses, form the pattern of
antenna. Going further out, longer radials, good ground, salt water further
help to gain or maintain dBs. Flat salt water further out adds to the
efficiency and "brings" signals with minimum losses.
I used to water the ground under my Razors before the contest and felt that it
helped.

Experience of expeditions to small islands surrounded by the ocean and using
verticals confirms that it is the ideal QTH. Anything else down the ladder
takes away from those extra 20 dB at especially the low angles. It is
interesting "ground" for the development of super antenna arrays taking
advantage of the effect.

Yuri, K3BU.us