Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU log checking report

To: Henk Remijn PA5KT <pa5kt@remijn.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU log checking report
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 06:47:44 -0700
On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:19:54AM +0200, Henk Remijn PA5KT wrote:
> The 3 stations did not sent in a log, so the checking robot has no way
> to validate the sent report.
> As they never know what the stations sent these qso's were valid.

I would argue this is not an accurate statement.

If I work XE1KK in the IARU contest and I log his zone as anything
other than zone 10 the person checking the contest and anyone else
(man or machine) will know that I got this exchange wrong.  You do
not need a log from XE1KK or even from anyone else in the contest.

There are some parts of the world where this does not work because you
can not determine the ITU zone from just the callsign.  The USA would
be an example of this since the K5ZD and K5TR stations that are over
1000 miles apart in diffrent zones.  But you can make a pretty good
guess based on all the reported contacts in the contest even if you do
not have a log from either K5ZD or K5TR.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net