Re: [CQ-Contest] TB-wires WPX category

To: "'Oleg Skydan'" <sov1178@rambler.ru>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TB-wires WPX category
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 13:32:35 -0000
This question is addressed by the WPX frequently asked question page
http://www.cqwpx.com/rules_faq.htm
which says:

<quote>

Is my station eligible for the Tribander/Single-Element category?

The purpose of this category is to enable competition by similarly equipped
stations, thus the restrictions on the number and types of antennas.

The rule states: (a) Tribander/Single Element (TB-WIRES): During the contest
an entrant shall use only one (1) tribander (any type, with a single
feedline from the transmitter to the antenna) for 10, 15, and 20 meters and
single-element antennas on 40, 80, and 160 meters.

This allows the use of up to 4 antennas:
1.One tribander antenna for 10-20 meters
2.One single element antenna for 40 meters
3.One single element antenna for 80 meters
4.One single element antenna for 160 meters

Of course, you could have a single element antenna that works on 40/80/160
(or any combination).

The tribander can be any type as long as it only has one feedline from the
transmitter to the antenna.

The single-element antennas can be of the following:
.A wire or aluminum dipole
.An inverted vee
.A wire loop antenna
.A wire or aluminum vertical or ground plane (radials are OK as long as
there is only one driven or radiating wire)
.A shunt fed tower

If you are in doubt, ask these two questions.
1.Is there a single feedline to the antenna used for 10-15-20m?
2. Are there single element antennas used for 40m, 80m, 160m?

<end quote>

Based on the discussion I may need to add some more text to this
explanation. For example, we have allowed receiving antennas in the past,
but it does seem like a gray area that should be clarified for next year.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions for how the rules can be made
more clear or more interesting to competitors.

Randy Thompson, K5ZD
Director - CQ WPX Contest

email: k5zd@cqwpx.com
web: www.cqwpx.com