[CQ-Contest] Official open letter from URE

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Official open letter from URE
From: <DLindsay.vlc@mscspain.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:38:57 +0200
I have been asked to post the following on behalf of URE:

"Official open letter from URE

The URE is pleased to know that our allegations of fraudulent QSO in the
log of DA0HQ have been considered correct and that the ARRL Contest
Committee  recognizes explicitly that numerous German hams violated  the
contest rules, in particular, as the ARRL Contest Committee mentions,
the Rule 3.5 of its General Rules for Competitions.

It is also gratifying to see that the LOG of DA0HQ, with hundreds of
fraudulent contacts, is not declared the winner in the competition as
requested by the claim by URE. We imagine that the DARC will shortly
issue a statement apologizing for unsportsmanlike and rule-breaking
behavior shown by several of its members and some local sections of the
DARC.

However, it is extremely disheartening and shameful to see how the
Contest Committee is punishing the rest of HQs in the competition whose
behavior, -theirs and also that of their respective local members-,
which was honest and fully observant of the rules, not to receive a
diploma in the corresponding classification obtained honestly and
fairly.

It is incredible that the unsportsmanlike and rule-breaking behavior
practiced by just a few amateurs and local branches of a single
association from a single country (DL), will make the rest of HQs whose
members did have an honest and rule-compliant behavior deprived from
participating in a competition in which they had taken part honestly and
cleanly. Instead of removing those faulty QSO, the Contest Committee
condemns the rest of honest HQs to not have a reward for their honest
work, because just a few in DL did break the rules, as confirmed by the
CC itself. It is in no way acceptable to compare the behavior of a few
rule-breaking German hams with the rest of the participants of other
nationalities.

We appreciate the overwhelming messages of support and solidarity
received at URE from radio amateurs and associations around the world,
especially from German hams who are outraged by the behavior of a few of
their countrymen. We are confident that this is the feeling of the vast
majority of their peers in DL. We hope that the DARC will soon join the
reprobation of the practices that have been demonstrated and
corroborated by the Contest Committee made by few German hams and local
sections of the DARC.

We appreciate very much all the congratulations on our report received
from associations and radio amateurs around the world. Thanks also to
the Germans hams that helped to show up the truth. We strongly believe
that this has been for the best interest to keep the Fair Play alive in
our Radio Sporting events.

Thank you very much"

I repeat that this is the official URE letter. My own personal comments
will be made in due course.

73

Duncan EA5ON