[CQ-Contest] AO8HQ vs DA0HQ - ARRL did the worse in two decisions

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] AO8HQ vs DA0HQ - ARRL did the worse in two decisions
From: "wally" <wally@el-soft.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:12:58 +0300
Refer to what I wrote 4 years ago and you will understand why I completely
agree with Zoli's opinion.

73, Wally LZ2CJ

Written on CQ-Contest reflector by LZ2CJ back in 2006 :

Dear Fellow Contesters,
I would say the time to change rules for HQ stations in IARU contest has
come. It is crystal clear ,if one reads the link below( of course, if he can
understand Russian  ) http://www.qrz.ru/webnews/3441.htm
In IARU 2005 -
It is NOT normal DA0HQ to have over 9000 DL QSOs out of total of 19 000.
It is NOT normal to have SN0HQ been called by 1200 different SP callsigns
who used JUST ONE STATION to make these QSOs. 528 of these 1200 SP operators
worked SN0HQ on all 6 bands from JUST ONE STATION.
SN0HQ had 8 000 QSO's with SP stations ,too ! (info is translated from the
link in Russian given above )
As a normal person I would NOT call this a fair competition although
according to currently printed rules of IARU contest this is NOT a formal
rules violation. If we have the same approach in LZ we would ask 1/3 of all
3000 LZ hams to go to our central radio club station and to stand on a queue
to work LZ7HQ station on 6 bands. I would kindly suggest to organizing
committee of IARU contest to take action and stop this nonsense. At this time
I can not suggest myself a solution of this problem,but such actions by some
HQ stations surely makes efforts of other HQ stations useless.

73, Wally LZ2CJ one of LZ7HQ operators in IARU 2006

HA1AG wrote :

Jose et al,

I welcome ARRL's very wise decisions about the DL vs EA dispute as well
as about ending the madness called HQ competition.

First, everybody know what the DLs were doing to win. period. However,
in most cases it was neither a breach of the rules in pure legal terms
nor could be proved. In addition it was/would have been quite a
diplomatic challenge for a national society to judge over the dispute of
two other national societies. In my opinion IARU itself could have done
it, however on that level it would have become a political decision
rather than objectively evaluating technicalities like contest operation.

However I could not sympathize with the Spanish either who tried to
benefit of having a few islas right next to the EU continent border
giving them 4.99 points/qso average.

Second, HQ has developed to a pissing contest over the last decades. It
made traditional competition meaningless and polluted the bands with
monster HQs leaving no room for others. Next to that it has spiraled out
of control - just look at the spotting beacons, the pre-contest
propaganda etc.

Finally, I don't think as an adjucator only, ARRL might have deleted the
HQ class from the IARU rules but they certainly had the right not the
evaluate it - hopefully - rendering it meaningless.

In summary, I applaude NN1N for this.

73, zoli ha1ag