[CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:39:17 -0700
N6TJ axioms of life:

NO 546    Many appear to have the need to prove they're the best operator.

NO. 547    Under present contesting rules and formats,  the playing field
cannot and will not ever be level.

NO. 548    Packet spotting, skimmers and that ilk, corrupts and perverts any
attempt to demonstrate operating skills, absolutely.

Some probably read my NCJ article (Axiom No. 5), circa 1979,  that stated,
in essence, that if you want to win the "majors", go to a place that favors
such.   Usually Caribbean, Northern South America, West Africa.  Over the
past 40 years, that has been clearly demonstrated.  You may or may not have
proven  you're the best operator, even by winning; but most likely the
smartest.  (Nothing like staring out over the azure Caribbean Sea, while
many are freezing their tails off in some Arctic climes.)

When I'm running a pile-up, and suddenly there's  a raft of dupes, only one
thing can be  possible:  some idiot couldn't get my call right, spotted the
busted call, and then all the packeteer's (who have neither the sense or
skills to really listen), call - thinking that they  have a new QSO.
They're happy, and I'm left with a DUPE.  Wonderful.  My only solution then
is to QSY.  Then watch the DUPES disappear (for awhile, at least)

PROPOSAL:

Although I retired from the NA SPRINT many years ago, it would seem to me
that the best way to get rid of all this assisted operator nonsense is for
WRTC, CQ WW, CQ WPX, ARRL DX, etc etc  to adopt the NA SPRINT format.   Call
CQ.  Make a QSO.  Then QSY at least 5KHz before CQing again.    Bye bye
spotting.  Bye bye skimmers.  Bye bye packet cheaters.  And the best
operators will then surface; just as they consistently do in the SPRINTS

I'm ready to give that a 48 hour try.  Anyone else?

vy 73

Jim Neiger  N6TJ