Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: Radio K0HB <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:03:34 -0400
On Jul 20, 2010, at 11:46 PM, Radio K0HB wrote:

> But I've another kind of "mini-spike" like you describe.  I've noticed it
> mostly during Sunday doldrums, but I think it may also occur at other times
> but is masked by a higher run rate.  This seems to be a "pack" or "convoy" of
> S&P guys moving up/down the band like you might see cars bunched up on a
> rural interstate highway.  The "leading" station works you, your signal is
> heard by "followers", and they each work you in turn as they pass down/up the
> band.

I think if you model CQ respondents as a very simple stochastic process, where
the arrival of a respondent is a random function of some probability p
(basically, a Poisson process), you will find it is not uncommon to have clumps
or two, three or more simultaneous respondents, even for very small values of
p.

So, it is not difficult to believe that groups just show up, without any prior
arrangement or anything other than sheer randomness.

I have noticed, though, that some of these mini-spikes tend to be people from
similar geographic areas. Having on-air leaders and followers seems like a good
explanation.

Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901