Re: [CQ-Contest] Speed Change Prevents Skimmer Spot

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Speed Change Prevents Skimmer Spot
From: Kenneth Silverman <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:30:39 -0400
>After consultation with VE3NEA, he confirms that any speed change
>between the keyword (CQ, TEST etc.) and the call-sign will stop CW
>Skimmer cold.

- What's more effective towards boosting your score:  more CQ's during a
contest (by speeding up TEST or CQ), or more skimmer spots?
- Other than the multi-ops who need skimmer to remain competitive, is
skimmer popular enough with the average packet user that skimmers spots are
a game changer for the CQing station?

For the latter, WRTC skimmer spots (or the complete lack of them) didn't
appear to have that much of an impact on the end result.  Sure one could
argue a single spot could have changed the top 2 outcome, but so could a
single QSY to find better frequency or any multitude of strategic changes by
the ops. Frankly, that's hindsight and too granular of a view.  From a high
level, the fact that high placing WRTC scores had low or zero skimmer spots
seems to indicate that skimmer spots are a bit over-hyped from the CQing
stations perspective at this point in time.

Skimmer spots are a great help for those who rely on packet spots to work
every single stations that shows up on the bands, but I don't think the
advantage is there yet for the CQing station, especially for the non-packet
using CQing station.  Or am I missing something?

73, Kenny K2KW