Re: [CQ-Contest] A Few Questions about Holes

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Few Questions about Holes
From: KU7Y <ku7y.cw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:26:57 -0700
1) Do you have a hole in both QTH's?

No, it's just one hole with 2 entrances.

2) If so, are they the same size or is one bigger than the other?

NA

3) Do you need any form of heat/AC in either of them?

Yes, heat and AC both but seldom you both at the same time.

4) Where do you live in the Fall and Spring?

Fall and Spring is when we are moving between Winter and Summer.

5) Do those "other places" also have holes?

I have no first hand knowledge but if I was to go there I'd take my portable
hole just in case.

6) Do any of the holes accommodate ham radio?

Yes, however the antennas for the low bands are a real challenge!

7) If you operate from the hole, do you sign KU7Y/h? I note that some LU
stations do this. Are you aware of any holes in Argentina?

U. S. holes do not need the /h.  Holes in Argentina might because they are on
the bottom of the world and you might fall out of the hole.

8) Many of us would like to see picture of your hole(s). Can you provide them?

Sorry but holes are classified Top Secret by the Government.  No pictures
allowed.

9) Is your hole your primary QTH or adjunct to your main house?

Yes and yes.

10) How long have you had these holes? Are they expensive? What is involved in
installing one at an existing residence?

I've had this hold for as many years as qrp-l has been around.  Cost isn't too
bad if you don't get all the fancy extras, like running water, WC and etc.
Installation can only be done by a licensed hole installer and they all have
long waiting lists.  Prices have gone way up over the years.

However, I might be willing to sell mine for the right price.

11) Are there any specific zoning regulations for holes? How do these affect
hams?

Zoning regulations?  We don't need no zoning regulations!  All good hams ignore
such things!

12) Does your hole have Internet coverage? Note, this is not a trick question
to see if you use DX spotting as a Single Op, assuming a positive answer to
Question #6.

Only when the radio is off and I am not in a contest.

Now I'm tired.... must rest.....

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
SOWP 5545M