Re: [CQ-Contest] Keeping 'em honest

To: Bob Naumann <W5OV@w5ov.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Keeping 'em honest
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:47:00 -0500
Responding to W5OV (below) --

Not at all, Bob, not at all.  When I say that the DX did not, as far as I
could tell, acknowledge my report I did NOT mean the typical:

"CQ TEST 4Q2OM"
      "k3ku"
"K3KU 5NN41"
      "5nn05"
"TU 4Q2OM TEST"  or even   "4Q2OM"   or even   "TU"

In cases like that it's clear that the runner is "acknowledging" by
continuing the run.

Rather, as a really weak station (and many CQ-Contest subscribers might not
fully understand this), what I get is
something like this:

"CQ TEST 4Q2OM"
     "k3ku"
"K3?"   or   "K3KO?"   or   "U?"
     "k3ku   k3 k u"
"K3KA?"
     "k3ku  k3 k u"
"K3KU 5NN41"          [BTW, I hv noticed tt other op's can cpy
                                  my cl much btr nw tt we hv SCP]
     "5nn05"

[silence]

     "5nn05 5nn05"    [Geez! This is CQ WW.  He has my call.
                               All he has to do is hear some noise from me
                               at the appropriate time to "copy" my report]
"... KU 59941"
     "5nn05 5nn05"
"... U 5NN41"
     "5nn05 5nn05"
"... ST 4Q2OM"
     "k3ku k3ku"
"... Q TEST 4Q2OM"
     "k3ku k3ku"
"CQ TEST 4Q2OM"
"CQ TEST 4Q2OM"

Do YOU think he "copied" my report, or even heard me again after he (or SCP)
got my call that first time?  I do not think so.  So I did not log the QSO.
And I do not think he should log it.  So I submit my log just to keep 'em
honest.

You are welcome to disagree.

And it's a good thing that I can laugh at myself.  Otherwise, after a few
QSOs like that, contesting would be no fun.

73, Art K3KU
" K3KF ? ? "