Re: [CQ-Contest] Revised 2011 NAQP Rules

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Revised 2011 NAQP Rules
From: Jack Haverty <k3fiv@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 12:26:11 -0800
I received several private email comments on the ideas I tossed out, so
I'll answer my own message to elaborate...

The word "contest" implies competition.  Most of us would like to
compete, but want to do so on a fair basis.  I.E., we'd like our
performance to be measured so that it can be compared with "others like
us" - whatever that means.  Many, maybe most, of the people who make Qs
in contests, don't send in their logs for scoring.  Perhaps it is
because they know they have no chance of winning, and that they'll be
ranked with others in their ill-fitting category who aren't really much
like them at all.

Contest organizers struggle with defining rules.  With too many
categories, you get the strange results of people "winning" their
category even though they only made a handful of contacts.  With too few
categories, you get the disappointing results of people who are
excellent operators being lost in a sea of entrants who had better
technology or simply more time and endurance, rather than better skills.

So, what to do...here's an idea.

Contest organizers are like any event organizers.  They select a venue
(bands, modes, etc.), define the format of the event (dinner, music,
entertainment, etc.) and invite interested people to attend.  Organizers
may provide some means of "scoring" - best costume, best dancer, oldest
attendee, etc.  But others can also score, according to their own
criteria - most drinks consumed, most famous person met, etc.

So, instead of trying to change the rules of a contest, which is hard,
why not simply provide alternate scoring mechanisms?

The Key Point -- *Anybody* can do it, not just the official contest
organizers.

Here's a concrete example.  NAQP doesn't allow CW decoding (I think -
it's still not perfectly clear).  But perhaps there's a group of people
who prefer to use decoders.  There's no category for them.  They can
participate in the contest, make Qs, and have fun, as well as provide
more callsigns for others to work.  After the contest, they submit their
logs as checklogs to the official contest organizers (since there's no
category which fits them).  But they can't actually compete.

However, suppose they *also* submit their logs to another scoring robot,
perhaps set up and operated by a club which is very interested in using
computer technology in amateur radio.  That club compares all of the
submitted logs and produces rankings, awards, etc., based on its own
criteria.  They *do* compete in that scoring, in the company of people
like them.

Same log, same Qs, but two separate scoring mechanisms.

Similarly, perhaps a "little pistol" club defines entry categories which
are based on station ERP and use of computer tools.  They simply put up
another scoring robot (another email address), and invite everyone to
submit their logs.

Another club might define a scoring scheme appropriate to "sprinters" -
operators who for whatever reason can't or won't sit for the 20 or 30 or
more hours at a stretch that are mandatory for any hope of a high score.
Scoring categories might be "one-hour" "four-hour" and "eight hour",
with a scoring robot that extracts the best score from a log over that
time span.

Again, same event, same logs, same Qs, different scoring scheme,
different judges.

There are many other possibilities - e.g., the stereotypical "boy and
his radio" category, or "straight-key CW", or "stealth antenna", or "no
computers", "no Internet", etc.

Perhaps a contesting club would run a scoring robot where multipliers
include the callsigns of all club members.  With some pre-event
promotion and nice awards and prizes, that might attract more Qs for
those club members - an alternative to a dxpedition to some exotic
location.

Since we seem to be running out of weekends in addition to bandwidth,
this would permit one contest venue (time period and bands) to host many
scoring parties at the same time.  E.G., the "sprinter" scoring could be
performed at probably every contest, every weekend.

So, ... pick a contest to piggyback on, define and publish your scoring
scheme, set up a log robot, and see what happens.

Same Qs, same logs, different scoring.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV