Re: [CQ-Contest] Technology against cheating?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Technology against cheating?
From: "Bob Naumann" <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:08:01 -0500
Hans,

In your example, there's nothing ethically wrong.

There have been cases, however, where a competitive entrant in the Single Op
*Unassisted* category has found that he did not win, saw that there were no
significant entries in the assisted class, and changed his category to
Single Op *Assisted* in order to win that category instead.

While it's legal, is such a thing ethical? I think not.

He did not operate assisted, but there are no restrictions on claiming
assisted when you are not. Perhaps it's a subtle thing, but it calls into
question the entrants' ethics and motivations.

73,

Bob W5OV