Re: [CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition

To: CQ CONTEST <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition
From: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:41:11 +0100 (BST)
. I wonder if someone until today
has checked if the participants were members of a specific club or were
inside the distance's limitation...

73 Kostas sv1dpi

Obviously not Kostas, Certainly in EU there is some funny geography that puts
many of the club participants within 275km radius of wherever the Bavarian club
has nominated it's HQ.

Realisticaly though is there any real point in continuing the club competition
in it's present form when it has become just a numbers game? The best
suggestion which I have seen in this thread is for clubs to be divided into
groups of  say five so a large club may well have 10/20 or more groups ranked
in highest 5 scores and descending order, this would allow smaller clubs to
strive to realistically get higher up the list. Do away with the distance
limitation (Martin, instigator of this thread, makes a very valid point).  but
request any entrant whose affiliation is to a club beyond 275km distant to give
a reason in the soapbox. which,would hopefully avoid obvious poaching.

It was a retrograde step, under the present rules, to allow travelling hams to
say carrib or africa to allocate their scores to their home club when at the
same time guys who have been a member of a club for many, many years  become
ineligable if they move out of the radius but moreover really negated the
original concept of competition between different local groups, local being the
keywod.

What is important though in all this call for change is not to impose
additional burdon on the CC's, they have more than enough to do without the
necessity to check membership and prove boundaries which is a good reason why
there has been silence from above about this issue previously. Randy has stated
he is up for change if a workable solution can be found. so it's up to us to
throw our ideas in to find a way to make it work.

73  Brian 5B4AIZ (C4Z).

.