Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field - my 2 cents

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>,"Milt -- N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>, <somata90924@mypacks.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field - my 2 cents
From: "J.D. \"Dan\" Weisenburger" <kw4t@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:35:56 -0400
Years ago I set out to win  USA 40 LP  in the CQ contests.   It was a
major challenge for my humble station.  The previous winners had "Run
Japan" from the west coast and from an east coast station with one
wire in a tree   I had my work cut out for me.   It took several
years a doing ok but never placing higher than 6th.   I was always
trying to do better than I had done previously.   That was the only
Leveling of the playing field I could do.   I didn't have the real
estate like my friend's, I was on a city lot.   I didn't have a
tower, just some trees.  Fred, K3ZO, said  "Stay in the Chair".   He
was right.   Eventually I got my 1st USA in CQWW and CQWPX.  In WPX I
cracked the world Top Ten Box one year.   Then 3 Cancers, a heart
attack, and other ailments  have leveled the playing field for my
wife.   She sees a lot more of me on contest weekends.

There's no crying in Baseball, DXing or Contesting

73 from Lake Moneysgone,  Dan, KW4T