Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX & activity (Was: intended consequences)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX & activity (Was: intended consequences)
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:40:34 -0400
The problem is that the SSB portion started as the SSBARA SSB Contest (Bill
W2SKE wrote the original rules).  This was in January.  The Contest moved to
the end of March location as the CQ SSB Contest in the Mid 1960's and has
been there since then although the name was changed to CQ WPX SSB.  By 1970
the rules changed from the old W2SKE rules to WPX although it was still
called the CQ SSB Contest.  Actually the contest helped build SSB Contesting
and then later helped make Prefix chasing more popular.

I was always of the opinion that late May was really summer in the Southern
USA with the local QRN on low bands and summer conditions on 10 and 15.

Guess that previous CQ WPX Directors should have changed the dates.  I don't
know if K5ZD has much latitude with the full schedule of Contests today.

73 Dave K4JRB  ex K5MDX