Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating - Big Amps

To: e73m@e73m.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating - Big Amps
From: Tõnno Vähk <tonno.vahk@gafm.ee>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 00:09:17 +0300
What are you trying to say Danny?

You are calling me names after you were exposed with cluster cheating in
CQWW and you cheated in Low Power category running KW or more?

I have never tried to hide the fact that I own a lot of different ham
equipment including many commercially made amplifiers (solid state and
tubes). I have tested very many of them through the years to find reliable
ones that would allow me to leave my station to other contesters or kids
for the weekend not being afraid of things breaking.

I am not ashamed of those pictures, opposite to that. I have always
invited anyone to visit my station and I am happy to show my equipment. I
am happy if people look at those pictures on the local school website that
you provided. I asked those pictures to be posted and I am happy about
scouts and schoolchildren often coming to my station and operating and
that we have youngsters joining our hobby. What on earth makes you think
they are operating those amplifiers to their limits or breaking any
rules??

Since when is it illegal to own amplifiers capable of over 1.5 KW?? I have
a car that goes over 300km/h, is it illegal?? I have internet, yet I
operate without cluster in un-assisted category! I do drive my car
responsibly and I drive my amplifiers responsibly. And I demand from any
ops in my station to do the same and not touch or retune the setup that I
have prepared per band.

I have tried to build a setup with one amp for each band, that is why
there are many amplifiers on my pictures. That allows fast band changes
with no tuning. And I want them to be running on half power or less when
people operate 48 hours RTTY contest from my station when I am not there.
Obviously I have tried to acquire amplifiers that would remain cool when
doing this and they have a lot of buffer. I am not living in my QTH and
can only go to my station 1-2 times a month. I cannot allow anything to be
broken because of being operated close to their limits. Emtron amps are
less expensive than some legal limit stuff that will never handle a 48
hour RTTY contest.

Are you saying everyone who ones amplifiers capable of over 1.5KW output
are cheaters? Are you crazy? You can find such amps on web pages of many
recent EU and World winners, most of them have such amps capable of 3-4KW
when pushed to the limit. You know yourself how many OM amps are out
there. If you ask from top 5-10 EU stations in any HP or multi op category
if they have an amp that is capable of producing over 1.5KW then I think
there are very few if any who can say no. Buffer is extremely important if
you want to be able to build a reliable station. I have 3-5KW rated
antenna switches, tuners, connectors, band pass filters, etc. Is this
illegal and prohibited? Same with amps.

When I operate SOAB I use a pre-tuned amp on every band for Run radio and
ACOM 2000A on S&P radio because of the ability of selecting between up to
10 different antennas per band segment and fast band switching.

You Danny and anyone else interested is always welcome to my station.

73
Tonno
ES5TV