Re: [CQ-Contest] End of contest and rewriting log

To: <n2ic@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] End of contest and rewriting log
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:16:12 -0400
Certain issues that are not specifically addressed by the rules come down to
personal views. The purpose of the article cited by Steve is to provide a
set of guidelines as to what is generally acceptable. The article explicitly
says that most contesters would agree that incorporating notes after the
contest is OK, as is a quick pass to correct obvious typos, as is correcting
errors detected by the contest robot when you submit the log. More intense
laundering of the log is strongly discouraged.

That said, purists and would maintain that these actions are not acceptable
because the contest runs during a specific set of hours and has specific
time limits. Doing anything after the contest to change what was recorded by
the log program would constitute an extension of the contest hours and time
limits. There are a number of contesters who email the Cabrillo file within
seconds after finishing the contest. In my view, this position has just as
much merit as the guidelines. It comes down to how you want to do the
contest.

Similarly, the "boy and his radio crowd" frown on use of anything except the
stuff between the ears, the radio, the antennas/rotors and the computer. All
information must come via the radio. I've even had discussion with a top
contester on whether it's OK to use propagation reports that come over the
Internet during contests (his initial opinion was, "No".) I'm not even sure
a purist would allow monitoring local weather reports on the Internet or TV
to be able to shutdown the station in case of lightning! That's the 100%
purist view. Fine if you want to do it that way, but I might make a
different decision.

Again, the rules don't address these issues, so we have to first look to any
published guidelines, and if they don't address the issues we have to decide
for ourselves. There is no "right" or "wrong" at this level. Just what's
right for you.

In summary: to each his own. The sponsors will score the contest using a
less comprehensive and detailed set of rules, some of which are open to
interpretation. That's the real basis under which we compete with each
other. Beyond that, it seems reasonable to expect participants to follow
generally accepted guidelines, like those cited by Steve. Beyond the
guidelines, it's up to each individual to define for himself/herself what
constitutes fairness. I would caution everyone to apply their
beyond-the-guidelines definitions only to themselves and not to sit in
judgment on others for the definitions they choose. At a certain point, the
competition is with yourself, striving to do better than you did before
under whatever set of personal definitions you use.

73, Dick WC1M