[CQ-Contest] 160 memories

To: "'CQ-Contest'" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 160 memories
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 23:11:44 -0400
> Maybe I could put the Amp in the barn out by the tower then it would be
> out
> of sight if someone came by, or do as W6VSS did and put it in a barrel
> buried in the lawn. (OH he got caught that time)

I remember when I first got my general around 1963.  I read in CQ about W6YY
operating from Mt. Wilson with two half waves in phase on a 450 ft tower.
Power limit was 25 watts dc input because of LORAN. W6's had to work
1975-2000 kc/s, east coast 1800-1825 kc/s.

I was elated to hear W6YY. My first W6 heard ever. He was just above the
noise.

Then I tuned about 5 kHz lower, and W6VSS was 599.

When I was 16-17 I convinced a girl to use her mother's car to drive me to
California so I could see Dale's rig and antennas. He had a few big
commercial transmitters, nothing buried in a barrel, and I was never allowed
to date that girl again.