[CQ-Contest] ARRL language on what is "assisted"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL language on what is "assisted"
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 10:58:23 +0000 (GMT)
My previous post directed attention to the CQWWDX language on what constitutes
"assisted."  If you missed
it, go here:  http://www.cqww.com/rules.php  Note section 12.A.  The 2nd
sentence.  Or see my original
post here:
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2011-October/095952.html

So what about the ARRL DX test?  Here is their Rule.  Note 2.1.1  The verb is
"use" not "receive."  Again,
in my simple mind, if you send a DX spot or provide assistance, that falls
within the definition of "use."  I
mean, if you use cluster or packet to SEND a spot, are you not USING the
spotting network?

[snip]
2.1.Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving, and
logging functions as well
as equipment and antenna adjustments.

        2.1.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements
involving other individuals,
DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, multi-channel decoders such as CW Skimmer,
etc) is not permitted.
[snip]

de Doug KR2Q

Final Disclaimer:  The above comments are MY OWN and should never be construed
as
being representative of the opinions of any contest committee with which I may
be
associated.