Re: [CQ-Contest] newbie question about split operating

To: "'Scott'" <scottmonks@hotmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] newbie question about split operating
From: "Bob Naumann" <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 19:16:50 -0500
Scott,

You're correct that he was listening where he was transmitting and also on
7033.

7033 is actually pretty low in the band and likely to stir up some DX CW
operator opposition, but yes, he was hoping to attract some DX callers down
there.

The main reason he was doing this was most likely to be able to allow
stations that might be using lesser antennas or lower power to get through
with much, much less QRM than what was likely up there around 7128 - which,
by the way, is about as low as anyone in the USA should transmit on fone
(LSB) to avoid going out of the band at 7125.

You should tune around down in the range from 7040 through 7125 and listen
for DX stations operating split and listening in the US band. You might hear
them doing the same thing, "listening this frequency and 7245" or they might
say "listening this frequency and two forty-five (meaning 7245). This is a
great way to work DX more easily than fighting with all the transceive QRM
from 7128 to 7200.

73,

Bob W5OV