Re: [CQ-Contest] newbie question about split operating

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] newbie question about split operating
From: Scott Monks <scottmonks@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:00:13 -0500

            Thanks
to all who provided answers to my question about split operating.  And, as
mentioned by several, I did
hear some European stations being called up high on the band and no one
answering, but I just figured that my antenna was not sensitive enough to pick
up the replies.  When I called the U.S. station on his transmitting frequency
he didn't answer, but I figured that he just though I was a lid by respecting
what he was saying to do and so didn't answer me.

            The
other day when we were discussing the problem of ethics in contesting someone
(Bob, I think, but I forgot his call) mentioned that it was important to resolve
these questions so that newer hams would have a basis for good practices.  I
responded that one thing we lacked
was a good manual/book on contesting.
Perhaps a good book, like that of
"Up Two" by G3SXW or the two by Bob Locher (W9KNI) [this is
not an advertisement!] , both on DXing, that would be written in the same style
as a diary of the life of a contester, perhaps throughout a year while he/she
participates in various contests, would be a popular read.  Just as the books
on DXing give a lot
of practical advice and are exciting to read, besides presenting the authors as
“role models” for those that aspire to being an able DXer (or at least give
them a ‘standard’ to beat!  hi,
hi), a book on the life of a contester as a model of good practices and as a
medium for imparting methods and standards would be immensely interesting and
helpful.

            Just
a thought! (but then, if they are busy contesting they wouldn’t have time to
write!)

            73
and thanks again for help with this question.

Scott  (AA0AA)