Re: [CQ-Contest] newbie question about split operating

To: Scott <scottmonks@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] newbie question about split operating
From: David Levine <david@levinecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:04:33 -0400
Scott,

I didn't see a response but some mailing lists seem to be queuing up
messages more than usual, so there might be many responses that havent
been released.

In your specific case, because he said "...listening here and..." you could
have transmitted on the same frequency you heard him on. You wouldn't be
operating split in this case and it would be a normal simplex contact.

This op was also listening on another freq and from what you wrote it would
seem to be 7.033. You wouldn't hear him there but if that was the frequency
and you might have been able to hear another op coming back to him on that
frequency. I'm on a train heading to work and I don't know off the top of
my head what entity might be operating SSB that low in the band. But the
reason he was doing that method was to cover a location that might not be
able to transmit on his frequency based on their band plan.

You might also hear an op in a different entity transmitting out of our
band plan and we can tune him but he needs to be listening in ur part of
the band plan where we could xmit for us to make a contact with him.

Normally in a contest, split would be used for the above reason. In a non
contest situation, its more for a DX station to better manage dozens to
hundreds of stations calling them at the same time. Their listening split
might be a large range such as 'up 5 to 15' vs just the single frequency
you reported the op you heard in the contest.

I hope that helps a bit.

73,
K2DSL - David

On Oct 31, 2011 3:48 PM, "Scott" <scottmonks@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all;
>        I was enjoying the CQWW-SSB contest and I heard a station working
split (I think!).  This is the first radio I have owned that would work
split and so I have never used that technique even though I knew what it
was from reading about it.  The bands got a little dead on 40m so I figured
that I would try to understand what this operator was doing and learn
something new, but I couldn't figure it out--thus the question.

>        The operator was on 7.128.30 (on my dial) and kept saying (exact
words) "this frequency and 'seven zero three three'".  Now, I know enough
to know this means that he was listening on this "other" frequency and
transmitting on the one I gave, but I couldn't find it.  (Someone might
even know who he is just from the freq., but I didn't put the call in my
log and it is not important)
>        I tried adding 0.7033, 7.033 and 70.33 but I couldn't find anyone
calling him even by just tuning up and down from this freq and listening.
 Since he had a really good strong signal I figured that he might be trying
to contact some DX stations in a country that could transmit SSB at
7.033MHz (CW band) and that way keep low-point U.S. stations from calling
him, but there was nothing on SSB there that I could hear either.

>        The question is, what was he doing?  By saying only "seven zero
three three" he lost me-- 'up 7.033' would seem clearer, but that is not
what I heard during the time I listened to him.

>        Thanks for any thoughts, and, if I worked you during the contest,
thanks for being so patient with a nervous newbie!