Re: [CQ-Contest] Incomplete SS exchange

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, pokane@ei5di.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Incomplete SS exchange
From: w5ov@w5ov.com
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:26:06 -0500
Paul,

Being correct is not necessarily pedantic. The rule requires that the
callsign be sent as part of the exchange. The fact that one may already
have knowledge of the callsign in advance of sending & receiving the
exchange is irrelevant to what is required to be sent as part of the
exchange.

I think you commented in a previous email that perhaps you didn't
understand the origin of the SS exchange and I think that may be the
underlying problem here. SS pays homage to the history of the ARRL, the
American Radio Relay League, as it was originally known and was founded
upon the "relaying" of messages through radio for the public at no cost.

These messages were sent with a proscribed message header that included a
(1) sequential message number, (2) a "precedence" (Routine, Emergency,
etc.), (3) the callsign of the originating station, (4) the "Check" (the #
of words in the message" and (5) the originating station location.

The SS exchange emulates those 5 elements in that it incorporates the
following:

Number Precedence Call Check Section

To remove the call from the exchange would ignore the reason it is there
in the first place - as a remembrance of the origins of all of this stuff
we're doing here.

73,

Bob W5OV